Sunday, April 19, 2009

The hardest challenge

After a little over a week off it is back to work with the wonderful kiddos (as I've now been addressing them) of HCA. As to be expected the children wanted to tell me everything they could about their vacations. Most of them went to their pueblos to visit grandparents and a significant amount of lucky ones hit the beaches. For my six year olds they had to draw something great that happened over break. Most drew their families eating, others drew the beach, and two special little ones drew themselves going to McDonalds. I tell you, kids these days...
I do have to point out that I learned something extremely important this week: I have actually found the most difficult thing that has been asked of me to do. At first I thought it was going to be the language barrier but I´ve overcome that and actually learned a great deal from the kids. Then I thought it was controlling the chaos in the classrooms but I've come to terms with that and developed my own techniques. Most recently I thought it was going to be teaching the 5 year olds but I´m now a celebrity and they applaud my arrival. I can officially say that the MOST difficult thing that has been asked of me is teaching Baseball to Spanish children. On Wednesday during class with the third graders Elena asked me if I wanted to teach them a new game. Since they had already been asking me for a new game I agreed wholeheartedly without checking the game first. I should have learned my lesson the first time when she pulled this on me to teach Dodgeball! Now if some of you might know I played softball from when I was nine until fourteen, coached a little girls' team for six years, and have been known to catch a Red Sox game or two...all making me what Elena would call "una profesional". NONE of this makes me capable of teaching eight year old Spanish children! None. The one factor that many people might forget is that Baseball doesn't exist here. The only contact children have with this sport is if a score is reported for the playoffs in the states. For the most part, children in the US have at least walked by a television while a game was on and saw the general set up. Kids here do not have that advantage. It is the equivalent of trying to teach American children cricket...in a foreign language. With all this said I still set out on the task to inform their little minds. After many "Melanie, I no understand" on their part and a lot of acting out plays on my part, we began. Order of problems that needed correcting:
  1. To not stand on home plate facing the pitcher.
  2. To not carry the bat to first when you hit the ball.
  3. To not have the runner on first go get the batter and bring her to first with him.
  4. To not throw the ball back to only the pitcher and expect an out.
  5. To not touch the base with the ball.
My parting words to this class? Go home and research the game in Spanish! Come Thursday Elena thought it would be hysterical to explain to everyone at lunch my performance the day before. Basically she made me look like a crazy person running around the gym screaming at children. Awesome. I did teach another third grade class the game that afternoon and it went much better. More understanding all around and the game went faster. I could, however, have done without their brawling at the end...I guess Baseball will always be Baseball no matter where I am!

Negative: [hint] I never get any mail...


Positive: I have new piercing!! (which my children adore, I am so popular!)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

In response to the negative: are you hinting that you need gum? My mom asked me today for your address so I'm sure she'll be sending a large box very soon.

In response to the positive: what is your piercing?