Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Scoot over! I´m cold and I´m going to invade your personal space

Clearly I am not writing these blogs in a timely fashion. In my defense winter break was quite crazy and when I was done and everyone had left school started back up. For the record I actually am a busy person! Anyways today I will be recounting my glorious time in Palma de Mallorca, an island off the eastern coast of Spain.

Britney and I flew to Palma on January 1st which in retrospect sounded better than it actually turned out. Since New Year´s was a late night/early morning event we ended up packing at the last minute (story of my life) and heading off to the airport still in a daze. The flight to Palma was simple because it´s only about an hour and we had the row to ourselves. We arrived in time to check into our hostel and head to this great little Italian place for dinner. The hostel upgraded us to a private room that didn´t have a working shower head and eventually no hot water so thus continues my shower struggles. No pasa nada, we were on the island while New England was getting hit with more snow.

The next day we took off exploring what we believed was the center. The area was great and we took in a lot of pictures just wandering. We sat on the beach for an hour or so just admiring how amazing the clouds made all our pictures and talked about how we could get used to a life like that everyday. We were a little shocked that the ´city center´was so small but we didn´t care because we were content with everything. However, it is a good thing we finally asked for a map the next day because we learned we were about ¨12 minutes walking distance¨ from the real city center, or try about 20 minute bus ride! Since it is still the holiday season many things in Spain are shut down or at least have fewer hours. We jumped on the Palma tourist bus that lets you get on and off wherever and you listen to a recording of the sights. Secretly these types of buses are my passion and I will take advantage of them whenever I can. Geniuses that we are, or tough guys depending on how you look at it, we didn´t bring coats on this trip. We did learn our lesson on the top of the bus as the wind nearly blew us off! We did one full round on the bus before getting off because we thought that was a better way to get a feel for the city. Palma is the largest city on the island but its not comparative to Madrid in my eyes.

Basically, we took a lot of pictures, walked around a lot, ate some interesting food, and played cards. Most nights we came back to the hostel and played cards at the bar while watching a futbol game. On the last night the bartender gave us free drinks the entire night because we listened to his life story. Fair trade.

Overall it was a very chill vacation which was perfect. I got to see everything I wanted and didn´t feel rushed at any point. I left knowing I knew a great deal about Palma and that I didn´t miss anything. I now know a little more of Spain and spent my winter break on the beach. Life is still good.

Negative: What one can only assume to be bed bugs and the nice rash that develops from them.

Positive: Learning a new card game from a sketchy German. Mahou, Mahou.

No comments: