And then I was attacked by a posse of rollerbladers
I leave for work around eight am every morning. At this time in Spain the sun is n
ot up yet. I have a very short walk before I hit the metro on Goya but this picture is what I see every morning. That street heads west towards the very center of the city and it is just amazing in the morning. There are usually a lot of taxis waiting at the corner to take people to work so the traffic is a little heavy. The Salamanca barrio is becoming the new hot spot in Madrid so there is an eclectic mix of people. Lots of business men heading to work and many kids heading off to school. Even though Madrid is starting its day, it is still very quiet. The street, even with all the cars, is peaceful. It is a great way to start the day. I enjoy not having to drive to work.
This is the front of my
school, CEIP Hans Christian Andersen. Rivas-Vaciamadrid is what I would picture a western desert town to look like. The bus ride through the city is pretty interesting because all the houses are the same. Stucco outsides with no lawns and gates leading to the garages. I really like what I've seen of the town because it is so different from Madrid. My school is one of two bilingual schools in the town, but I'd like to think that it is the best. There are always parents at the school begging the principal to let their kids join. We have a great reputation for teaching the English language. This is the patio that the children use for recreo (recess) and to line up when their parent
s pick them up and drop them off. In the background is the flat top for more running around. There are basketball hoops set up and of course soccer nets. Today, since a few teachers were in Bulgaria for a bilingual school conference, the end of the day consisted of 6 classes or so running around here like crazy. The teachers didn't feel like being in the classroom because it was so nice outside. I wasn't about to object. However, this is what I learned from my favorite little ones in 1B today, and remember that they are six years old:
1. My glasses are ugly.
2. I have the whitest skin they have ever seen.and my personal favorite,
3. "Tiene tetas muy gordas!" (figure it out)
In fairness, the first one was spoken after 4 girls said they loved my glasses and necklace. One of the boys was being playful and wanted to make everyone laugh. The second was spoken by a girl not much darker than me and I think that is why she found it to be the most fascinating thing ever. The next few minutes consisted of giggles and comparisons to my skin. And the third, well that was actually spoken by one of my favorite kids in the classes. He's the most adorable thing but he clearly has a little devilish side. After this comment there were whispers and giggles between all the little boys. Some things never change.
This is a picture of a typical classroom at school, this p
articular one is of my most common class, 3A. In the beginning the desks were in groups but because the third years were talking too much and causing trouble they were put into rows. I am really starting to enjoy this class because I know all their names. The trouble makers now realize that I will take things from them or stand next to them if they talk so they behave fairly well for me. It's funny because most of them are very intelligent. They understand what I am telling them, they just like to be the class clown. I'm starting to learn their habits too which makes it easier to read them. I have this class for physical education, science and English many times throughout the week. Notice the rolling backpacks around the desks. They are literally hell on wheels. They hurt and take up too much room. I have to admit I was a little pleased when one boy tripped over his and went flying today. Not in a demented way, well maybe, but it was more for the fact that yesterday him and his little buddy tried to block the isles. During class I walk around making sure that everyone understands and they decided to block my path. I call it karma.
Finally, this is the cafeteria. The children have lunch in shifts since there are six grades plus three years of infantils. For this meal there are crazy women who are essentially lunch ladies. They are responsible for taking the kids from their classrooms to lunch and watching them. Then they take them outside to play and make sure they don't kill each other. These ladies are absolutely, without a doubt crazy. They scream at the smallest things and quite frankly they scare me. I am wicked surprised there aren't more tears during the day. The teachers also eat during recreo and lunch in this room, which is funny because as soon as the students spot them all you hear is "Hi teacher!" As previously stated the meals are very good and I can usually find my way around the meat. Well, except for the course of meatballs today. No one has asked me yet why I separate my food so I'm going to try to fly under the radar for a little longer. Today's meal was also a little crazy because the topic of the teachers' Christmas party was brought up. Apparently last years night was a little out of hand and all I need to know is that it involved lots of alcohol and confetti in precarious places. I'm wicked intrigued and can't wait for this years. Oh, also Spanish people are very dramatic so my meal consisted of me ducking and avoiding flying hands during wild gestures. I was also used as a demonstration dummy because I was in the middle of the table. Oh joy! Some things never go away: One of my 6 year olds stopped me in the hall and said "un besito?" (one kiss). My reply? "Really, is it necessary?" Kids here are very affectionate, which I blame on the culture, and I'm still adjusting.Today Lisa, Steve, and I had our picture taken for the local magazine. I'm sure it was for an article about how great the school is and how fortunante they are to have native English speakers assistiting their full time teachers. I'm interested to see the finished copy.Oh, also, on my way to the metro in Nuevos Ministerios I was almost trampled by a pack of rollerbladers-no joke! They came out of no where and I was stuck in their path, my life flashed before my eyes.Extra side note that can't go unnoticed: one of my 3rd year students is fervently convinced that monkeys are responsible for all the pollution.Negative: Having to listen to one of my adult students tell me that Rhode Island is not a state and then defend his opinion when I told him he was incorrect.Positive: My new, large, purple bag that fits everything I need for a 14 hour day.
1 comment:
1. I like your glasses!
2. This comment may be true...
3. This comment is DEFINITELY true.
rollerbladers are scary, p.s.
and YES, SPAIN, Rhode Island IS a state...ugh
Post a Comment