Monday, February 23, 2009

Cadiz 1, Melanie 0

So as previously mentioned I went to Cadiz to celebrate Carnaval this past weekend. Cadiz is one of the best places in Spain to go, along with the Canary Islands. It is original and quite popular with Spaniards. With this being said I made the easy choice of going with some friends, who had been before, down south. I left Thursday night and traveled by bus to the farthest point from Madrid. Seriously though, we were told many times that the distance from Madrid to Cadiz is the furthest distance from Madrid to anywhere else on the Peninsula.

So here is the summation of my trip:

Yelled at by the woman in front of me on the bus because SHE had put her seat back all the way
into my lap.
Could not sleep on the 8 hour journey and wasn´t in the best of moods.
Arrived to our hotel in San Fernando to be told that we couldn´t check in for four more hours.

Wandered around until the doors to our amazing room were opened.
While taking pictures of the place discovered I was out of battery in my camera.

Upon checking my luggage realized I brought the wrong battery charger so there would be no pictures to capture my experience in Cadiz.

Did some sightseeing in the city that was pretty fantastic.

Had a great conversation over some delicious tapas for dinner.

Woke up early just to eat a buffet breakfast and go back to sleep.
Dressed as a gangster for the night.

Took a bus to the city center with a bunch of study-abroad-ers.

Danced and drank in a small plaza.

Admired many great costumes that took a lot of effort and creativeness.


Here´s where the story gets tricky. After many conversations on the subject a conclusion has been reached that something was put in my drink that made me really sick and my night ended there.

My overall impression of Cadiz as a city is that I must go back, it is some where that I need to experience again under better conditions. My impression of Cadiz at Carnaval is that it is too dangerous. I can not express how unsafe I felt trying to walk through the main plaza with people throwing glass bottles and everyone in mass chaos. I do not think that I will return to Cadiz for Carnaval next year because in all honesty I did not enjoy the end of the night.

I do have to state that Lisa was amazing the entire night. She took me back to the hotel and braved the shards of glass, the stampede, the two hour wait in line for the train, the hour wait to buy a ticket, and the crammed train heading back to San Fernando. What a night!

Oh, and for the record I´m not telling my school where I´m going anymore because there are just too many questions. I particularly like the teachers who just said to me today, ¨You´re face says it all...¨ Fantastic.


Negative: Losing my hot pink suspenders and revolver.

Positive: Getting to recline my seat all the way back on the bus ride home.

No comments: