Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cut and Cat, Beach and Bitch...it's all the same to the Spaniards

So it may seem a little curious as to why I'm posting so early in the morning my time, but I have a reason. This morning at five am I promptly knocked my glasses off my chair and heard what could possibly be the worst sound ever. I stumbled to find my glasses and found out that I had knocked the glass out of one eye, fantastic. A lot of things go through your mind this early in the morning when you have presumably ruined your day before the sun is even up yet. As I struggled to put the glass back in I tried to calm myself by repeating 'at least the glass didn't break', however, this doesn't settle the nerves completely. I spent about 15 minutes struggling to pop it back into place unsuccessfully. Now for many this might not seem like the end of the world, but clearly for me it was. I then had to decide how I was going to handle this: I could take them to the Rayban store on Goya but I'd have to wait until Friday at the earliest; I could call my wonderful eye doctor, but I would have a small window of time to do that in between jobs; or I could spend loads of money to send them home to have them fixed and then sent back, but that would take a month. Obviously, my stress was justified, not to mention it's just terrible to wake up to a dilemma like this. Seeing as my patience was already thin at this point, I did something out of character: I went for a run.
Yes, at about 5:30 in the morning on a chilly 0 degree (celsius) morning I dressed to go running through the streets of Madrid. Well, there wasn't a soul out yet which made the city seem so empty but peaceful at the same time. It definitely calmed my nerves as I passed through the same streets I walk every week. I found a new metro stop that isn't too far away, now I have a easier access to line 5. I ran to Calle Serrano which is the fashion district of Madrid, quite impressive. I'm by no means a fashionista, but I can recognize an impressive name when I see one. The street is filled with these such names but in the dark they look no different than the H&M's that litter my barrio. As my run came to a close somewhere around the seventh track on my Spice Girls playlist, I felt more at ease. I walked back into my apartment and straight into my room. This time my glass popped right back in, success. Problem solved and crisis slightly avoided.

Anyways, I'm clearly behind in posts so this will have to be a summation of last week. The previous Sunday was a great day for me. My co-worker in Rivas, Juanma, threw a small get together for a traditional Botillo de Leones. Essentially this is just meat, and more meat. He made some vegetables for me and Steve´s wife because we don´t eat that stuff. Gabriel, the music teacher at school, was also there and I finally feel comfortable around him now that we've actually had a conversation. The other guests included Conchi, his neighbor, Antonio, a subsitute from Rivas that now works at another school, and Steve and his wife Susannah. It was such a great crowd because it was small enough that everyone could share in the conversation. Antonio is Sevillan which means he´s quite dramatic in his ways At times it was a little hard to understand his accent but he´d act everything out anyways so I got by. The event went late so on Monday we all dragged, but it was worth it.
School in Rivas was nothing out of the ordinary, except the kids have now experienced my 'angry' side. Usually, I leave the discipline to the head teachers but last week I had just had enough. A few times the teachers left the room and the kids just went crazy, probably something in the water. So I'd count to five in my 'loud' voice and scare them half to death. Do they even know my father? They are getting off so lucky on this one. Yesterday I was asked by one of my little favorites why I was in such a bad mood after I raised my voice. Mary flat out told him it was because they were being 'maleducados' and it infuriated us. Its not an everyday voice but at times they talk so much that they can't even hear me speak to tell them to quiet down. It's funny though because no matter how mad you get, two seconds later they make you laugh until your side hurts.

Ok, this is officially the shortest post for all of you who complain that I write so much!

Negative: Thanksgiving away from home has finally started to settle in and there is nothing I can do about it.

Positive: Rocking out to "No Scrubs" in Raul's new car with Lisa and Emily.

No comments: